Friday, September 10, 2010

#10. meeting intersting people

Rachel & I ventured downtown today! Rach was taking photos for a class, I was taking photos just because, we met a ton of "interesting" people and had a great time! 
I guess technically this 365 project is supposed to be "one" photo a day.. but I couldn't decide which "one" today.. so here's a few... plus captions to explain how our day went! This post is a bit long, but you should really just read it.. because, you just should.

 I've realized when I'm in an "urban" setting.. how much I like taking pictures of everyday things that we tend to ignore..


The next picture marks the beginning of long line strangers that chose to talk to Rachel and myself today. I don't know if it was because we had our cameras out, or because we just look so dang personable.. but we had some pretty "interesting" conversations with the fine folks of Syracuse today!

[While walking around we realized Irish Fest was going on. So we're passing through and these two guys start to talk to us. In our conversation we realized they may have had a BIT too many when they began to ask us some REALLY awkward questions.. but we asked to snap a photo of them anyway they said yes!]

[They had a stand to advertise some beer brewing company. To be honest we didnt stick around long enough to find out more.. the questions got THAT awkward.]
[ Cool break in the road and Rach's shoes.]

[Biker guy]

Fun fact about me, I absolutely LOVE take photos of strangers... you know, "photo journalism" type photos. And there's two kinds I love taking, the candid kind.. where I try to sneak a shot in before they realize I'm taking it...

OR the kind where I strike up an interesting conversation with said stranger, and then ask to take a photo of them. So its essentially a portrait shot. I actually love this kind the MOST, it's just a bit more challenging.
Funny story about this guy below. He works at the french restaurant. We were outside taking a few photos.. he walks out and says "bonjur" and like a fool I respond "HOLA" (it honestly just slipped out) I was really hoping he didn't hear me, but he did and laughed at me. We got in a conversation. Rach asked to take a picture of him, and I did too!
And then literally 10 seconds later, ANOTHER stranger strikes up a conversation with us. This guy owned a hair store.
 And then we saw a Italian restaurant and Rach wanted to get a photo of a person in an apron. Rach was able to get one without him noticing..and as soon as I put my camera to my face, he looked at me. So I had to ask him.. he was hesitant but eventually said yes! I told him to keep doing what he was doing, hence it not being a "portrait"

And then we went to a Water Street Cafe (a coffee shop I've never heard of before) and we got in a great conversation with the owner. I did ask him if I could take a picture and he politely declined. So I took a picture of some signs instead. (After we bought coffee from him)
Below the "Think Local Drink Local" sign.. there was a sticker that says "Friends don't let friends drink Starbucks" HA! I agree.. wholeheartedly. Minus the few times I'm forced to go to starbucks.

And that was our day more or less!
Rach, you're the best! 


PS- If you want to laugh ALOT.. you should watch this video. I've watched it 4 times, and I'm pretty sure I laugh harder EVERY time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment