Sunday, May 16, 2010

this summer (part 3)

I just moved the three suitcases, clothes & food that were strewn over my bed, to the floor. Now my room is 10x messier than it was before. For those of you who know me.. you know how it is almost IMPOSSIBLE for me to go to bed when my room is a mess. But alas.. I'm lying in my bed, finally posting another update for my summer. This not cleaning thing is a pretty big deal. I'm a bit like Monica from Friends in that way. Thought I'd share that..
ANYWAY.. here's the third part to my upcoming summer. Be sure Look at part 1 and part 2 before you read this.

Fast forward to April. Funny thing.. the girl who started planning her summer back in October, now has absolutely ZERO idea what she would/should be doing. I started frantically looking for potential internships in DC. (DC because after spending a weekend there, I decided I was semi in love with the city). A few weeks passed and my word document that held all the internships I was finding was only growing bigger. It was crazy frustrating because I had about 30 internships on my list, 5 that had due dates in the next week, and virtually NO time to apply for them. (Most of them required cover letters, or long essay answers). I was ridiculously stressed with school work (it was like my teachers had a special meeting and decided to ruin my life), in desperate need for there to be 32 hours in a day instead of the regular 24, and just all around generally frustrated with the lack of control I had over my present life and life to come (aka my summer). And yes I was praying about my summer, yes I was trying to trust God and yes I knew & believed that God had a plan for my summer. But still... it was HARD. There's this quote that I love, and it perfectly described this time of my life (as well as most times of my life) "There lies a faith in the absence of control." Yup, that was me in a nutshell.

In the midst of all of these daunting internship applications, I received an email from the Rachel Robinson International Fellowship (the one I applied for in January hoping I would get funds for my trip) saying that they were sorry for the delay and that they would be making a final decision soon. Since I knew I wasn't going to Bangkok, I replied back explaining that I wanted to withdraw my application.  Fast forward a week. Its Wednesday and I'm on my way to photo class and I notice a missed call and voicemail. I listen to the voicemail and hear this.. "Hi Imani. It's Damian from the Jackie Robinson Foundation. I know you withdrew your application for the Rachel Robinson International Fellowship, but CARE took a look at your application and is very interested in you. The internship takes place in Quito, Ecuador this summer, all of your expenses (travel, food, living) will be paid for and they would like you to reconsider." I press the end button on my phone and immediately start to FREAK out. 4 million thoughts were running through my head: "Wait.. I thought God didn't want me to travel this summer. South America..again? How come they were interested in me? Should I say yes? What about the 30 internship applications that are waiting on my computer?" I sent out a mass text to my mom & friends, asking for prayer that God would give me wisdom. And by the time photo class was over, it was decided.. I was interested in Ecuador....

(final post for my summer coming up next!)

No comments:

Post a Comment