Monday, June 14, 2010

8 things I´ve learned so far in Ecuador

I´m too hungry and headache-y to write a "full out paragraph by paragraph" blog post. So here is an update via list.. EIGHT Things I´ve Learned So Far In Ecuador

1. People in the South (specifically Georgia) are NICE!
We spent 3 days in Atlanta at the CARE office training for our internship. And every minute I was utterly amazed by "Southern hospitality".. While in the hotel never once did I carry my own suitcase, the hotel workers always helped me. I got into a great conversation with my cab driver from the airport. I found myself watching (aka staring) at people on the subway.. becuase they were simply striking up conversations with each other. And the list goes on and on. Funny how simple politeness and kindness amazes someone from the "North"
2. I don´t know how to make a colon on a spanish keyboard.
So from now on when I want to type a smiley face it will be this =)   and the time will be this 1230.
3. Our host mom is legit.
She is amazing. So kind, so warm, and geninuely cares for us. She´s been hosting students since 1997, so she´s very experienced to say the least.
4. Taxis are only supposed to cost ONE dollar.
Sunday we ventured out of the house by ourselves to find an internet cafe. (Our host mom gaves us directions). After walking for awhile, we asked for directions at a hotel to make sure we were going the right way.The hotel guy told us to take a taxi because it was pretty far. So we get a taxi, and our driver starts to make small talk. The conversation leads to us being from the United States. In which his response is "Ohhhh. Son Americanos?" (you probably realize what happened next) 10 minutes later...Turns out the internet cafe is actually closed, so we ask the guy to take us home. We get to our street, and the driver charges us TEN whole dollars.We told our house mom when we got inside, and she kindly/lovingly scolded us, saying we paid WAY to much. The most you pay to get pretty much anywhere (the mall, internet cafe, movies, stadium) is 1 dollar. How does the saying go? "You live and you learn." Well, let me tell you.. I have lived and I have learned!
5. If you have to wake up crazy early..going to bed early ACTUALLY helps.
Yes, I know this is common sense. But I´ll be honest... last night was one of  the first time I actually experienced this. We had to wake up at 730 this morning. So last night I went to bed around 1045. Low and behold.. I woke up this morning BEFORE my alarm went off. And I was wide awake. Double bonus.
6. I´m an RA.. wherever I go.
Saturday night. My cointer/roommate Sharada and I were talking in my room. And I decided it would be a good idea for us to play a question icebreaker so we could get to know each other better. It worked!
7. Do not speak english while in the office.
There are about 3 people who speak english in our office (our boss, and two other interns). And even though they speak english.. we have been told ( that we are only to speak spanish! Our boss really wants our spanish to get better! And while its a bit difficult to speak spanish to someone who knows english..I know my spanish will improve via this method!
8. Keeping up with World Cup Soccer here is muy facil (very easy)
Everyone..and I mean everyone, watches it. Who do I want to win? Brazil, Ivory Coast, New Zealand or Chile. I have based this on little expertise of these teams.. so don´t judge me. I just simply like those countries!


I know this is kind of a lame first blog entry for ECUADOR. But really.. I just want to let ya´ll know that I´m alive. I´ll write something much more exciting next time! (I´ll include pictures too!) I´m off to eat. Adios!
(Yes I said ya´ll.... I just love those accents)

2 comments:

  1. glad you landed safely dear?! work on your spanish! wooo!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. IMANI my love! LOVE LOVE LOVE that you posted. Glad you're doing well and speaking spanish. love you!

    -Linds

    ReplyDelete