Went to La Sirena last night, and as I'm leaving I tell the moto driver that I'm going to the Parada (I said the right place this time). He says something like "Okay linda" (Linda= cute in Spanish. Dominicans use terms of affection all the time, especially this term) Okay, so that was compliment #1. I put my feet on the pedal things, and apparently I put them the wrong spot.. so as he is fixing them he says: "Oh wow, your toe nails are so beautiful, did you paint them yourself?" I reply with "Yup." And he says, "Wow, what a talent you have." (Compliment #2 & 3). So we're leaving La Sirena and he stops by this bush and picks off a leaf. I just go with it.. and we continue to drive. He continues to ask me questions, and compliment me (you have a lot of energy, you have alot of joy, you're so nice-- so let's say like Compliments #3-10). Halfway through the ride he hands me the leaf (that he picked off the bush in front of me) and says... "It's not a rose, but you know, it's the symbol that counts" By this point I am cracking up at this guy/the situation. He continues to explain to me that next time I come to La Sirena he will have not one, but two roses for me, and that he'll actually have the real flower. We continue talking all the way to my stop.. at which point he refuses to let me pay him for the moto ride. He finishes the conversation by asking me to bring back the leaf next time I'm at La Sirena. I guess.. maybe to show that I remember him?
What a character.
---Also, you know you visit La Sirena too much when you walk in and immediately one of the employees says.. "You like it here, huh?"
Okay. Just thought I'd share that funny 20 minutes of my life here in the DR. Adios!
Imani
PS- I promise to blog about other things soon! AND include pictures. I feel like I'm a bit behind?
PS- I promise to blog about other things soon! AND include pictures. I feel like I'm a bit behind?
Of course you like it there! air conditioning, frozen yogurt, random tshirts.
ReplyDelete