Monday, October 10, 2011

[Mi Vida] ESL Classes in Los Ciruelos

Sorry I haven't blogged in a while! I'm hoping that once things in our apartment are settled.. I'll be able to spend my afternoons relaxing, catching up with people, and blogging.. versus the endless To Do lists I've been having to complete. Here's a photo filled blog on the ESL part of my job:

-------------------

After my schedule is in full force, I will eventually be teaching an ESL class 7 times per week! So far I have started with the class in Los Ciruelos (where the Makarios host house is located). These kids have already captured my heart, and I look forward to spending the next two years with them!

Erika (wife of the original host couple that has ended their time in the DR) and I began the process by walking around Los Ciruelos to advertise for the upcoming class. I was so amazed and overjoyed by the warmth of the people that invited us into their house, laughed spoke and spent time with us. (I expect that a similar thing will happen once I start spending time in Chichigua and Tamarindo conducting the Community Outreach part of my position.. and I greatly look forward to that!) Once we passed out the enrollment forms, we formed the classes, and held the first two classes of the year! Take a look through the pictures to see the dynamics of the class:


We spent the first class going over the goals of ESL class and playing icebreaker games with simply English so that we could learn each other's names.



Darlin, Yonalis, Sindy

Estrella


Grelin

Luisanna

Gouri & Esteban

Yonalis, Sindy, Patricia

Patricia


Esteban, Gouri, Simeon

The hope for my ESL class is to provide a much needed service to the people that live here on the North Coast. Because this country attracts many tourists, knowing English is a valuable resource that will allow Dominicans/Haitians to obtain better jobs. Through my teaching I also hope to let Christ live completely through me, exemplifying his love in an audible & tangible way.

1 comment:

  1. Those kids are beautiful! Stoked for you Imani =)

    ReplyDelete