*Disclaimer: This may be more funny to Sarah (my roommate) and I.
We go grocery shopping at a store called La Sirena (think Dominican style walmart). When you leave La Sirena at night your choices of public transportation are limited because the carrito (Dominican style inexpensive taxis) stop is too far away to walk with alot of groceries. This leaves us with the option of taking the expensive taxi, which of course is waiting for you right outside the doors of La Sirena.
Tonight, since we didn't have too many groceries we decided to take two motos to the carrito stop, and then take a carrito home (all to save money). So we hop on the motos, tell them to take us to the Gran Parada (the carrito stop that is 5 minutes away in Puerto Plata) and we get moving. I don't think anything of our trip until we start passing landmarks that signified that we were definitely outside of Puerto Plata, way beyond the Gran Parada, and halfway home to Montellano. I scream to Sarah on her moto: "Where are we going?" And Sarah screams back: "I don't know." A little bit later when our motos are next to each other again, the conversation continues. Me: "They're taking us all the way home, aren't they?" Sarah: Yup, I think they are." Sure enough, we continue to pass landmarks that signifiy that we're getting closer and closer to home, and farther away from La Gran Parada in Puerto Plata.
I then realize that out moto drivers probably thought we said La Gran Parada in SOUSA and not the one in Puerto Plata. (Sousa is past our home). I tell Sarah and we both start hysterically laughing (read: laughing/spitting in our own faces because of the wind) at the situation of us accidentally carrying two weeks of groceries* home on a twenty minute motorcycle ride. I've never felt more accomplished, nor more Dominican in my entire life. Accomplished for saving money/not dropping the eggs I was desperately holding on to. And Dominican for carrying a huge cargo on the back of a motorcycle.
I think God knew Sarah and I needed a good laugh tonight.
*Groceries included: eggs, bread, 2 cartons juice, chicken, a plunger, bread, cheese, canned goods, fresh vegetables, etc. etc.
crazy young ladies!! Glad joy is following you Pastor G
ReplyDeleteThanks Pastor Gary! I'm glad too!
ReplyDeletehaha I would have been freaking out!! so glad you guys got a kick out of it :-)
ReplyDelete-Carissa