Sunday, November 03, 2013

Grace upon grace.

I WILL SING TO THE LORD, BECAUSE HE HAS DEALT
BOUNTIFULLY WITH ME- PSALM 13:6

These past 60 days have been filled with change upon change, 
and I have absolutely blown away by God's grace throughout it all. 


Change #1 It all started with Him leading me to STAY in the DR past my original leave date (December 2013). That's right. I'm extending my time in the DR once again! Let me tell you, that was a whirlwind of a decision. Including but not limited to: struggling with pride in terms of "holding on to" my original decision, learning an immensely great lesson on God's guidance of his people, experiencing the power of prayer, and lastly: joy and closeness to the Lord. I'm thrilled that the Lord has led me to stay, and grateful for the lesson he taught me through the decision making process. 
Change #2  So I was under the pretense that I would stay in the DR serving as our school's full time "Resource Teacher"- tutoring our students that need extra help. THEN, I found out that I was needed instead as a full time teacher in the classroom. So hear it here first folks... I am going to be co-teaching our 2nd grade class in a mere TWO weeks. Teaching full time in a classroom for Makarios has been my prayer/desire for the last year and a half, and I could have NEVER imagined it would happen so fast. But God is gracious, and He's entrusting me & my co-teacher, Marnelia with 17 beautiful students, to love, educate and share the gospel with. More to come on this soon. I am BEYOND excited. 
Change #3 The Makarios school is in the process of becoming "accredited," meaning we will be officially "recognized" by the government. When this happens it will allow our students to only attend our school, not requiring them to also attend public school (what they currently do). The next step in this process calls us to switch to the Dominican Ministry of Education's curriculum (we were previously using American curriculum before) and also re-organize our current classes/teachers. (Hence- how the opportunity opened up for me to be a teacher). If it sounds complicated, it's because it is! But hey, our God does great with complicated, Amen?

So why have I been so blown away by God's grace throughout all of these changes? Because in these past 2 months, I have dealt so greatly with the enemy whispering his lies to me. These daily lies centered around the common theme of: "You're not good/holy enough to serve the Lord as a missionary." But every single lie from the enemy has been answered ABUNDANTLY with our God's grace. Through various ways He has told me, - "No, you're technically not 'good enough.' But my grace isn't dependent on your performance. You're my daughter. I chose you before the foundation of the world. And I appointed you to do good works. I gave you grace then and I give you grace now. You're not perfect, but I am. And I will work through you to advance my kingdom on this island. Oh, and by the way....  have your dream job, have the job you've been praying about for the last 1 1/2 years and use it for my glory." Can you imagine?! I'm feeling low and unworthy... and in response God gives me an opportunity that I feel a person "like me", couldn't possibly deserve. In that moment He effectively reminded me of what his grace is- undeserved blessings, undeserved love.

I WILL SING TO THE LORD, BECAUSE HE HAS DEALT BOUNTIFULLY WITH ME. (PSALM 13:6)
So this is me "singing", Lord. Singing your greatness. Singing because you have and will always deal bountifully with me. Singing because of your grace. Singing because of your grace UPON grace. Singing because you answer prayer. Singing because you've chosen me to minister to these students. And singing because it will be you that gives me the ability to do just that. 


Merili, Elianny, Emeli and Taisha
4 of the girls that will be in my 2nd grade class. 


Will you pray for us? Pray for our school: That God will continue to bless us as we make these big adjustments. Pray for me: That the  the transition from my old position (Sponsorship Coordinator) to my new position of 2nd grade teacher would go as smooth as possible. Pray for my co-teacher, Marnelia & I:  That God would do an amazing work as we love, educate and witness to our 17 students hearts. Lastly pray for our students: that God would reveal himself to them.  

FROM THE DR, WITH LOVE
Imani

No comments:

Post a Comment