Friday, June 01, 2012

my happy list this week (May 28-June 1)

As a missionary, I have found it incredibly easy to "focus" on the bad, and almost never on the good. Who am I kidding, this was my tendency in the states as well. Life is "hard" at times, and  Life is "good" at other times. Life is a paradox all the time. Whenever someone (from home) asks me the simple question of "how are you?"... the first thing that always comes to mind is the bad. Why? Why do I only ever want to complain and not rejoice? I dont know exactly where I'm going with my little speech, so I'm just going to stop and introduce where I wanted it to end up. Introducing.."My Happy List this week." Inspired by this blog, I hopefully will begin to blog (with frequency), the various blessings throughout my week, to remind myself about all the "good" in this paradoxical life. 

My Happy List This Week
(May 27-June 1)

1. Chopping down a dead tree in the Makarios school yard.
 The guys were the ones really chopping, but us girls wanted to take a few whacks ourselves. It was hilarious, especially to the neighbors that began to watch us.








2. Finishing "The Help" 
Saw the movie last year, and I was finally able to read the book! I'll be honest and say I appreciated the movie a little bit more, because it was a bit funnier... but Kathryn Lockett: kudos for writing such an amazing story!

3. Finishing the entire series of Felicity.  
Few things about this:
#1. This TV show was amazing. Like seriously, amazing. #2. This show is over 10 years old, and I just watched it now for the first time. #3. Thank you Dena for owning  all the seasons on DVD.  #4Watching TV show series on DVD (or Netflix) has become my new favorite post-college hobby.  #5. Next series I'm going to watch = Friday Night Lights! (But I'm not letting myself start it until GRE studying is over.)

4. Receiving not one, not two, but THREE items in the mail on Tuesday. 
An amazing package from Emily, a sweet card from Carissa and the wedding invitation for Amanda & Rob's wedding! Made my entire day!


5. Laughing hysterically during lunch with my coworkers. 
Seriously, you can give us ANY topic of conversation and 5 minutes later, you will find us all in tears from hysterically laughing. I love them so much.

6. Having some pretty great skype conversations. 
Sarah Elyse, Emily P and Gabby, you ladies are amazing.

7. Going to pick up our new summer intern from the airport with various members from the staff.
We arrived at the airport and  spent an hour planning (read:hysterically laughing) how we were going to welcome her. Various plans included clicking our heels, screaming "hello my friend" and  a special arm thing (that only Dena could seem to do). In the end our plans fell through, but we still had a great time. I love my staff. And Bienvenidos Paige!


Waiting for Paige to arrive.

8. Josh Turner's "Would You Go With Me"
My friends and I share so much music that I often have songs on my iTunes that I've never listened to. I'm not sure how long I've had "Would You Go With Me" or who gave it to me,  but I just listened to it for the first time on Tuesday and I'm in love.


9. Opening my "membership" at a movie rental store!
A friend/fellow missionary, Rachel, showed me this place about a month ago, and I can't even describe to you how excited I was to realize its existence. Movie watching is one of my favorite past times ever, and the ability to rent current movies in the DR is the bit of "normalcy" I am so incredibly grateful for.

10. Iced Coffee and Air Condition at Casa Colonial
Casa Colonial is a super fancy expensive hotel. We couldn't afford to stay there, but we can afford the coffee in their little lounge area. We bring our laptops (and sometimes our GRE study material) and treat it as if it was an American-like coffee shop.




11. New flavor of Coffee Creamer at La Sirena (our amazing grocery store, and one of my top 5 happy places in the DR)
Vanilla Carmel. I'm drinking it right now. It's divine.

12. Taking our new Makarios summer intern, Paige to our favorite beach (Playa Alicia) and favorite restaurant Gorditos

13. Sleeping in until 10am.
I love sleeping in, and the older I've gotten, the harder it's become to sleep in without waking up once or twice. This morning I slept in WITHOUT waking up until 10:12am, and it was grand.

13. Waking up in a grateful mood this morning (Friday, June 1st). I've been making this list all week but these last 5 items were added literally in the last 7 minutes. God is good. 

No comments:

Post a Comment